This is the mos beautiful thing I’ve ever made so far.
- 1 cup of dry soybean
- 1 tbsp of vinnegar
- 1 pinch of Tempe starter (“ragi tempe” on eBay)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sweet soy sauce
- Large pot or sauce pan
- Kitchen towel
- Plastic bag (punctured every 1/2 inch)
- Frying pan
- Soak soybean in a pot with 3 times amount of water overnight
- Crush soybean with hand until it splits and the skin floats
- Remove as much skin as possible
- Boil in 2 times amount of water for 1 hour
- Drain and spread the beans on kitchen towel and dry it until it’s dry to touch
- Remove it into a dry bowl, add vinnegar and mix well
- Add tempe starter and wix well
- Scoop the beans into plastic bag, making about 1 inch thick
- Put it on rack with good air circulation. Keep it in warm room temperature (~75 F or 26-30 degree Celsius).
- It’s done when it’s solid white, to stop the fermentation put it in the fridge (stop it as soon as you see some black spots)
- Cut and fry in oil until golden brown, sprinkle with salt and enjoy with sweet soy sauce.